Thread: Need a new "Johnson rod" GRRRR PA State Inspection

Need a new "Johnson rod" GRRRR PA State Inspection

--Took the MM in today for its annual PA state inspection.

inspector flunked it for:

---lower right ball joint
    ----rubber bushing "mounting the rack/pinion to the frame on the pass side is shot"....

only problem is: racks on MM's are solid mounted through a stud-- no rubber bushing involved...or did I miss something the 2-3 times I had the rack off the crossmember?

I'm checking the ball joint as well. I don't think there's any detectable play(backlash) [per the 2003 Ford Workshop manual test procedure....]

Zombie Marauder Passed PA state inspection!

Rack/Pinion mounting stud to crossmember was a tad loose on the pass side, I wonder if the Ford tech loosened it while trying to align it, it took a 1/2 turn with 18mm wrench and was good to go.

(I had that rack unbolted twice when i was putting this thing back together and I know darned well I put it back on OK.)

Second inspection shop checked out my LCA: ball joint was just fine. Street legal at last!

(.....There's the foxes guarding the chickens up here in PA, where a few inspection stations try to drum up business....)
    Last edited by Agent2006; 04-16-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Why 2 stickers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Why 2 stickers?
    One is emissions.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    Zombie Marauder Passed PA state inspection!

Rack/Pinion mounting stud to crossmember was a tad loose on the pass side, I wonder if the Ford tech loosened it while trying to align it, it took a 1/2 turn with 18mm wrench and was good to go.

(I had that rack unbolted twice when i was putting this thing back together and I know darned well I put it back on OK.)

Second inspection shop checked out my LCA: ball joint was just fine. Street legal at last!

(.....There's the foxes guarding the chickens up here in PA, where a few inspection stations try to drum up business....)
    Congrats!!
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

I guess this cursed car roams the roads once again

Don't let any friends borrow it, that's how accident # 1 happened IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Why 2 stickers?
    As Derek said, one is emissions, the other is safety. Some counties require both, some are safety only (the county I am registered in is safety only)

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Yes it does. All Prius owners, WEEP! and cower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsN3wx62Bjw

I have no friends !!!! where the Marauder is concerned...heh heh. I find myself taking the "long way" sometimes, or choosing a route that has a wide open stretch of highway for a quick blast....hasn't been the case for me in any car in a long time.

One thing - it occasionally throws a lean cylinder bank 1, 2 code. Wonder if it is due to the Magnaflow exhaust. My Ls1 would pop up a lean code after I put a LoudMouth on the car....sounds like it might be time for a ....tune!!!! I was waiting to see the oil usage stabilize...at 1200 miles now barely off full maybe 1/8 down the stick .The driving and 5W-30 must be doing the trick. Catch can only has a few drops in it.
    Last edited by Agent2006; 04-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Great news, congrats on getting it legal! It took me 18 months to finally make mine fully legal and pass MA inspection!

Yes it does. All Prius owners, WEEP! and cower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsN3wx62Bjw

I have no friends !!!! where the Marauder is concerned...heh heh. I find myself taking the "long way" sometimes, or choosing a route that has a wide open stretch of highway for a quick blast....hasn't been the case for me in any car in a long time.

One thing - it occasionally throws a lean cylinder bank 1, 2 code. Wonder if it is due to the Magnaflow exhaust. My Ls1 would pop up a lean code after I put a LoudMouth on the car....sounds like it might be time for a ....tune!!!! I was waiting to see the oil usage stabilize...at 1200 miles now barely off full maybe 1/8 down the stick .The driving and 5W-30 must be doing the trick. Catch can only has a few drops in it.
    It's only a set of mufflers on factory pipes (he bought those off a friend of mine with a vic after his flowmasters rusted out). That won't throw a code

What I can't remember is if that car has a secondary cat delete or not, if the second cats are gone and the tune doesn't have the rear O2's turned off to compensate that would certainly trigger a code.

Did you not get the lidio tune with the car when you bought it?

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

The lidio tune was off the car when I arrived. Ross's ad said the tuner would go with the car if asking price was paid but I forgot to ask about that and later he sold it on C/L...he did give me an extra set of 17" town car winter wheels which I have on my 2006 MGM now.

The lidio tune was off the car when I arrived. Ross's ad said the tuner would go with the car if asking price was paid but I forgot to ask about that and later he sold it on C/L...he did give me an extra set of 17" town car winter wheels which I have on my 2006 MGM now.
    hah, well that sucks, I loved my lidio tune.

Time to hit Marty up for a tune then.

2063/3214

5377/7838

Yes, going to page Doctor M! Making sure this heap is running ok first. 1850 miles on it since digging it out of the Pet Cemetary....

Arrow Ball Joints

--Took the MM in today for its annual PA state inspection.

inspector flunked it for:

---lower right ball joint
    ----rubber bushing "mounting the rack/pinion to the frame on the pass side is shot"....

only problem is: racks on MM's are solid mounted through a stud-- no rubber bushing involved...or did I miss something the 2-3 times I had the rack off the crossmember?

I'm checking the ball joint as well. I don't think there's any detectable play(backlash) [per the 2003 Ford Workshop manual test procedure....]
    My Mustang with 30k miles had its annual service/state inspection last week. I was warned that the rubber boot on one of the ball joints was rotting off but the joint was still ok at the moment. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Your project has been most interesting to follow.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

The 2nd inspection station confirmed my ball joint was fine and the car passed.

They did tell me in PA -must be the same as NC ---if the boot was torn but no play in the ball joint it would have passed. But my boot was in perfect shape. The other garage was drumming up some repair work! When ever I've been in these shops, waiting, watching other people check out, the bills are always "$900 bucks", "$1500 bucks"...it makes it hard to keep an old car going if you have to shell out that kind of dough. In 2014 they failed my MGM on LCA right ball joint, they told me might as well do both sides...that'll be $1400. I asked "which side actually failed?" - only the right. So I got a LCA from Rock auto, at the time $82 bucks, installed it myself, then got $10 bucks back taking the old one to the metal recycler (they're solid aluminum).

Thread Information