Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now this is rocker rust!

Now this is rocker rust!

....rumbling down the mean streets of Philly...here's what you get! underneath the black plastic rocker trim panel. Drivers side 100x worse than the pass side...only a small breakthrough there.

Actually interesting...either rusted through or solid as the day it left the factory. Leads me to think the low spots where the salt water sat = rusted spots.

The plan is to cut out the rusted areas and 3M panel bond adhesive-in the new rocker panel pieces in an overlap style, then rhino liner everything, or rustoleum or spray bed liner on the back side...I'll update when the patch panel gets here.

Rock Auto only has them to 1997 ($20 bucks) , it'll work fine, must some side-impact thing why they don't want to sell newer years.The gauge and shape is the same.

Arrow AAHHHEEE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent2006 View Post
    ....rumbling down the mean streets of Philly...here's what you get! underneath the black plastic rocker trim panel. Drivers side 100x worse than the pass side...only a small breakthrough there.

Actually interesting...either rusted through or solid as the day it left the factory. Leads me to think the low spots where the salt water sat = rusted spots.

The plan is to cut out the rusted areas and 3M panel bond adhesive-in the new rocker panel pieces in an overlap style, then rhino liner everything, or rustoleum or spray bed liner on the back side...I'll update when the patch panel gets here.

Rock Auto only has them to 1997 ($20 bucks) , it'll work fine, must some side-impact thing why they don't want to sell newer years.The gauge and shape is the same.

Looking forward to seeing the repair.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Fluid film the inside of the rockers after you do your repairs.
    Then fluid film the entire underside of the car. Dont forget inside your doors also.
    03 black 300A # 2827 stock setup 275,000 on car. 65,000 on engine from a 04. 03 engine died at 273,000 . Rear cat delete with magnaflow 11256 mufflers.

holy ****, I had a feeling this would have some holes after it was actively shucking rust and crunching when we were jacking it up, but wow.

grab the POR15

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick pro View Post
    Fluid film the inside of the rockers after you do your repairs.

Then fluid film the entire underside of the car. Dont forget inside your doors also.
    What is "fluid film" ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelQualityMan View Post
    What is "fluid film" ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    it's a rust prohibiting spray that was developed in the 40's to keep tanks from rusting in WWII

https://www.fluid-film.com/

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Meh, that’s not so bad!

Most people just undercoat there vehicles but that alone will not work. Once undercoat gets a rock chip rust starts again and is hidden by the undercoat. Fluid film actually fills in any paint chipping that happens cause it's a thick lanolin based oil that doesn't wash off easy. Only down side to it is it makes a mess trying to work on your vehicle after it's applied. But I would rather have dirty hands than rust build up anyday. It also has a farm smell to it for a day or so. It's also amazing for any rubber parts on your suspension.
    03 black 300A # 2827 stock setup 275,000 on car. 65,000 on engine from a 04. 03 engine died at 273,000 . Rear cat delete with magnaflow 11256 mufflers.

My 03 has quite a bit of rust in the rocker panels too. After I replace the rusted areas I was gonna use por15 and was thinking about trying some 3M cavity wax inside rocker. 3M sells a long tube that attaches to their cavity wax aerosol that would be nice to get inside the frame too.

The question is --did these rust outside in... due to salt/ice between the plastic trim cover and the rocker, or from the inside/out? Makes a difference as to the prevention strategy...I'll let you guys know when I start slicing mine open. Misapplied rust or wax treatment might hold water and create MORE problems. Maybe these rockers need drain holes instead. all I know is mine has the drain holes now...LOL
    Last edited by Agent2006; 03-26-2019 at 10:10 AM.

The question is --did these rust outside in... due to salt/ice between the plastic trim cover and the rocker, or from the inside/out? Makes a difference as to the prevention strategy...I'll let you guys know when I start slicing mine open. Misapplied rust or wax treatment might hold water and create MORE problems. Maybe these rockers need drain holes instead. all I know is mine has the drain holes now...LOL
    I also wondered if the rust in the drivers side rocker could be caused from moisture getting under the plastic sill cover. I have seen people hit that area with pressure washers. On my 03 I found a missing rubber plug on the inside of the rocker panel and found telltale signs of mice inside the rocker. They also got into the frame on the right front. Was a pain to clean that out. Previous owner had given up fixing the engine and stored it outside for a couple years. I want to tackle my rocker rust too but waiting till I set body back down. Had visions of car sagging as I drilled out the spot welds. Watching your progress with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinker View Post
    My 03 has quite a bit of rust in the rocker panels too. After I replace the rusted areas I was gonna use por15 and was thinking about trying some 3M cavity wax inside rocker. 3M sells a long tube that attaches to their cavity wax aerosol that would be nice to get inside the frame too.
    We use the 3m wax at work good stuff. The long applicator works awesome.

Wax or fluid film does not hold water. It actually repels the water from sticking and pooling up. It also does not allow salt to stick to whatever is sprayed. The rockers do have drains but they are so small along the pinch welds they plug up easy. Adding larger holes like you mentioned is not a bad Idea.

Looking at your pictures it seems they rusted from the inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick pro View Post
    Wax or fluid film does not hold water. It actually repels the water from sticking and pooling up. It also does not allow salt to stick to whatever is sprayed. The rockers do have drains but they are so small along the pinch welds they plug up easy. Adding larger holes like you mentioned is not a bad Idea.
    Exactly why I don't undercoat my vehicles. Plugs up the factory drain holes being small enough already.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information