Thread: Style question: Autometer 4397 or 4370 ?

Style question: Autometer 4397 or 4370 ?

I was thinking about getting a wideband a/f gauge for the lo-tek triple gauge pod. I already have a fuel pressure and boost guage. All ultra-lite.

So, should I get the 4397 or the 4370?
    The 4397 is digital, has a colored 'warning track', and puts 14.7 right in the middle.

The 4370 puts 14.7 off center, doesn't have the snazzy colored lights, however, it matches the other gauges more and is $100 less.

I can't decide. What do you think?
    Last edited by the fat bastid; 06-28-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

I have to say that having matching gauges seems like the answer, but for a split second decision, I went with the digital display alternative, much easier to figure out with just a quick scan of gauges as opposed to having to look at it and "learn" what's going on.

Especially at speed.... ymmv.........
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    I have to say that having matching gauges seems like the answer, but for a split second decision, I went with the digital display alternative, much easier to figure out with just a quick scan of gauges as opposed to having to look at it and "learn" what's going on.

Especially at speed.... ymmv.........
    I was thinking the same.

Digital is easy to figure out if the readings stay stable and don't bounce around. If readings change a lot then get analog. I prefer analog gauges.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Consider the criticality of what a wide band gauge is measuring. In this case, precision, accuracy, and the warning band trump aesthetics x10 for me. For some things like oil pressure and battery voltage analog is fine, but for something that can indicate and visually warn me of the imminent meltdown of a very expensive piece of hardware, I would go with digital.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 01-27-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    I would hands down go with a digital gauge versus getting sea sick watching the analog gauge bounce around like a pinball machine!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

The 4379 is the number one gauge we recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by martyo View Post
    The 4379 is the number one gauge we recommend.
    Why do you like this one better than the one he was looking at Marty?

2-1/16" WIDEBAND STREET AIR/FUEL RATIO, 10:1-17:1 AFR, ULTRA-LITE

Product # 4379 $199.95

2-1/16" (52.4mm)

Digital

10:1-17:1 AFR
    <li class="manual">

Taking the core features from AutoMeter’s Pro Wideband, the Street Wideband provides the most important functions necessary to make sure you’re extracting the most power possible, safely. Our advanced auto calibration system automatically calibrates your gauge on every startup to assure you of the highest degree of accuracy over the entire lifespan of your sensor (no free air calibration is ever necessary). Designed for gasoline applications, this wideband gauge provides the same degree of accuracy and response as the Pro version, but at a reduced cost. Data logging output is included for one wire or two wire systems. Our specially designed O2 sensor and wiring harness are included for ease of installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Why do you like this one better than the one he was looking at Marty?

The led setup on the 4379 rubs me the wrong way. Petty? you bet! I wish they made the 79 with the led setup of the 97.

Since i'm starting to lose track of this myself we have:
    4370 - Analog 8-18 $204.95 - off center 14.7
    4378 - digital 6-20 $299.95 - tight set leds. has logging.
    4379 - digital 10-17 $199.95 - has the wide set leds. no logging.
    4397 - digital 6-20 $309.95 - A 4378 + serial output.
    Last edited by the fat bastid; 01-27-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

Ever wonder, when you see a picture of a NASCAR dash (back when everything was still analogue), why all the gauges look like the installer was hammered when he put them in...all crooked and at crazy angles? It's so the gauges' "normal" readings will all be pointing straight up. MUCH easer to tell at a glance that all the needles are in the "correct" direction than to have to figure out which gauges are supposed to be pointing which way.

So, even though I like my gauges to have the same face and look all orderly, I vote for the 4397 (or the 4379) as being easiest to read with just a glance at WOT.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 01-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I have the 4397, the only downside is the constant LED blinking in your face at night time. Not sure if there's dimming ability. Never looked into it. Actually mine doesn't have buttons.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

I've got the 4397 and yes the bouncing leds get old.

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

put a piece of window tint on the glass so the light is subdued.

4397 has buttons for other features and is $100 more
    4379 has no extra features
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Thread Information