Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for new rear tires, 315?

Question Time for new rear tires, 315?

Wondering if anyone has ran 315s on a 10" wide wheel on our cars? I know it's at the limit, but I'm not doing auto X or anything like that, just street driving and occasional drag track. My wheels now are 18" x 10'' +20 offset I believe (not 100% on offset) anyone ever do it? Wheels spacers?

I have some 285s on there now and I light them up a little too easy, I want more rubber to put power to the ground.

315 is going to not be a tall enough tire. Unless the manufacturer's started making them with taller sidewalls. I'm using 305/45 MT DR's and still have tire spin issues. I think the only solution is a lighter right foot.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Reading in corvette forums, they do it with 10 inch wheels.

Plus its a wider tire so the percentage shouldn't be too bad. Anything to make it better, too tight against this ridiculous 430 year and 3k+ converter lol

I'm asking more for any fitment issues, spacers, etc.

fitment depends on offset, marauder wheels are limited to 9.5 wide as the tire may come in contact with shock. do you have traction control? if so, then too short of a rear tire will cause it to activate. why are you comparing corvette rears to a marauder? 2 totally different cars, suspensions, frame, or lack thereof
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    I have a 315/35 20 on the front its very wide tire , but even in a 315/35 18 tire on a 10" wheel with a +45mm to +40mm offset it will fit , but as mentioned the tire will be too short , and will not look correct for the car.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    fitment depends on offset, marauder wheels are limited to 9.5 wide as the tire may come in contact with shock. do you have traction control? if so, then too short of a rear tire will cause it to activate. why are you comparing corvette rears to a marauder? 2 totally different cars, suspensions, frame, or lack thereof
    Because no matter how different their frames /suspension is set up, doesn't change the fact that they are using a 10" wheel with the size tire I want...
    right now I'm running 285/50/18 in a 10 inch wheel and no contact yet, hence why I'm asking people who have done it about spacers, maybe a 1/4 " since I hear it's still safe for stock studs.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post
    I have a 315/35 20 on the front its very wide tire , but even in a 315/35 18 tire on a 10" wheel with a +45mm to +40mm offset it will fit , but as mentioned the tire will be too short , and will not look correct for the car.
    My offset is either +20 or +30
    My current tire has a 14.25cm wall height, 315/35 is and 32mm drop on the sidewall, I guess they would be a little short, what do you think my best options are? 295? 305?

Quote Originally Posted by minimarine09 View Post
    Because no matter how different their frames /suspension is set up, doesn't change the fact that they are using a 10" wheel with the size tire I want...
    right now I'm running 285/50/18 in a 10 inch wheel and no contact yet, hence why I'm asking people who have done it about spacers, maybe a 1/4 " since I hear it's still safe for stock studs.

My offset is either +20 or +30
    My current tire has a 14.25cm wall height, 315/35 is and 32mm drop on the sidewall, I guess they would be a little short, what do you think my best options are? 295? 305?

It sure does change the fact..corvettes have no frame, duh..they are not built the same so the same offset does not fit them, that's why it matters and does not make a good comparison. it's factual.

Plenty here run a 295/45/18, 305 only come in drag radials that I am aware of for 18" rims and suck in the rain and get maybe 5000 miles at best tread life, and do not corner well at hard maneuvering.

what tire are you running? brand/model?

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

It sure does change the fact..corvettes have no frame, duh..they are not built the same so the same offset does not fit them, that's why it matters and does not make a good comparison. it's factual.

what tire are you running? brand/model?
    I was strictly comparing just for the wheel and tie combo, thats why I came on here and asked how it would do in a marauder

Right now I'm running 285/50/18 nitro nt 400 extreme force . Not the biggest fan of them

That's how much it would cut down on wall height with a 35% a bit to much

That's a suv all season tire, that is part of the traction issue, get some nitto 555, a summer tire designed for 45-50 degrees and above. and my error, corvettes do have frames, was thinking unibody, but meant they have independent rear suspension which has different clearances than a axle housing and outboard frame

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

get some nitto 555
    I've had good results with these. Actually I was on the 295 street tires instead of my 305 drag radials when I ran 11.5 in the 1/4. Fully loaded trunk, tires aired up, packed up and ready for the drive home. Decided to make just one more pass and got my best time.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

That's a suv all season tire, that is part of the traction issue, get some nitto 555, a summer tire designed for 45-50 degrees and above. and my error, corvettes do have frames, was thinking unibody, but meant they have independent rear suspension which has different clearances than a axle housing and outboard frame
    Yea those tires came with the car, not to thrilled about it. Someone probably saw "nitto" and got excited lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FordNut View Post
    I've had good results with these. Actually I was on the 295 street tires instead of my 305 drag radials when I ran 11.5 in the 1/4. Fully loaded trunk, tires aired up, packed up and ready for the drive home. Decided to make just one more pass and got my best time.
    So I think I brought it down to 2 decisions, there is either the nitto nt555 g2. Which are 295/40/18 which is a 24mm difference in side wall which is ~48mm shorter in diameter to what I currently have.

OR

I may go for it and get the nitto 555R drag radials and daily them, they are 305/45/18 which is a 5mm difference in side wall, ~10mm shorter than my current diameter. I hear allot of people getting like over 20k miles out of them. What do you think?

Honestly I'm leaning towards the drag radials, I'm just worried about having to change them constantly. 40 dollar difference in price between them.

Your 285 tires are taller than stock anyway, so should not use that as a basis. I would not recommend drag radials, they are no good in rain, not built for hard cornering, no way anyone is getting 20k miles from them, they barely have enough new tread to be considered dot legal..5k miles if lucky if you don't light them up a lot, and it sounds like you run it hard regularly. what size are the front tires and what year is the car? do you have traction control?

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

DR's on a DD will result in your next post starting with " I had a crash"..... that IS NOT a tire to DD on.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information