Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Transmission:

Cobra Transmission:

I'm just wondering if you guys know about any possible transmission options available for the 03 and 04 Cobra. A co-worker of mine is telling me that Ford offers the Cobra w/an automatic transmission, however I don't see any evidence of that on the Ford website. I'm wondering if that's true because if it is, I would think that the automatic transmission offered in those cars would be a beefed-up version of the ones we have in our Marauders.

I haven't had any serious transmission issues w/my car yet. I'm hoping that I won't since I've kept the RWHP at 400, and I've read a post by Jerry W. on another board where he made the claim that this transmission will hold-up as long as you keep the power level below 430 RWHP. But I'm simply thinking about what options I'd have if something ever did go wrong w/this transmission. Does anyone here know if there is such a thing as an automatic transmission option offered in the S/Ced Cobras? If not, then does anyone know of a more robust automatic transmission that will take much more of a pounding than our transmissions will, that would be a direct swap w/out any fabrication required?
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-21-2004 at 02:53 PM.

Jerry has a great article about modifyiing the trans to levels in excess of 500 hp. I was getting ready to make some of these changes hopefully next weekend. There is a link off of Dennis R's site that leads to a fairly complete description of the trans & mods written by Jerry W.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin
    Jerry has a great article about modifyiing the trans to levels in excess of 500 hp. I was getting ready to make some of these changes hopefully next weekend. There is a link off of Dennis R's site that leads to a fairly complete description of the trans & mods written by Jerry W.
    Isn't that the "Jerry Mod"??? I have copied the instructions for that. But if that's what you're refering to, I'm compelled to mention that I've never heard of the "Jerry Mod" making any difference up to as much as 500 RWHP.

Infact, I thought that Zack did that to his transmission as well as a number of other things too in order to beef it up, yet he's just messed up his transmission again. I'm not at all positive if that would neccessarily spell trouble for me seeing is how Zack's car is churning out 75 more RWHP than my car is. but I'm simply hoping for the best, and planning for the worst.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 08-21-2004 at 03:44 PM.

With the right stuff and the right plan in good hands...that transmission should hold 500, 600, 800, even 1000 horses. If you build a Marauder with 1000 horses though....I'll be sure to leave a note beside the pile of glass in your garage.
    2007 Honda Accord V6. Fit for a father of two. 5% tint all around.

Quote Originally Posted by woaface
    With the right stuff and the right plan in good hands...that transmission should hold 500, 600, 800, even 1000 horses.
    Sorry Jimmy, but I'm very skeptical of that theory.

More that one topic on the table here, first things first, eh?

Topic 1; A "Cobra" is an automobile design all by itself, a specific build derived from the Mustang's SN95 platform by SVT, not Ford, much like our Marauders are derived from the Mercury Gran Marquis.

Cobra trannys are always manual, like our MMs are always automatic, no options from the builders. Cobras could be five speeds, or, six, depending on the year, but if the outside says "Cobra," the inside has a shift box and clutch pedal, at least within the SN95 frame years. Ditto the limited edition "Bullitt."

SN95 Mustangs bearing "GT" and "Mach I" trim have an automatic tranny option at the point of sale, but they are Mustangs, not SVT cars. Different, yes? Therefore, no legit Cobra, (or, Bullitt) has an automatic tranny, and don't YOU dare suggest to ANY Cobra/Bullitt owner that he owns a Mustang. It would be like telling one of us, "it's just a Gran Marquis."

Topic 2; The Mustang GT and Mach I share internals with our 4R70W tranny, but the tranny tailshaft, and drivershaft, is shorter. No surprise, eh? So, they are not candidates for an easy swap with our MM without some serious work bench time, that calls for breaking open two trannys and laying their guts over two work benches, and playing the name-game...Whew!

By the time you accomplish all this, you will have spent more money completing these exchanges than you needed to spend on the reason for this swap to begin with, so, nevermind?

I went through this soon to be about a year ago, when I blew my MM tranny at MV-1 in Texas. I was offered a pro-built GT tranny for free, but the wrench time I estimated that I would be paying for to make it work in my MM, I was deeper in the hole than just rebuilding my MM 4R70W tranny, which I did.

Yes, the parts work, they will interchange. Most interchange with no sweat, but what does not interchange makes us sweat, and that isn't worth it...IMHO.

Just my .02c...

Mac is right on the money.
    Jerry does state in his article that he has more than one tranny behind an engine putting out 450 to 500 hp. He also states that the 4R70W built for the 5.4l has some stronger internals and is a better place to start off at if you are going to get another tranny to rebuild. If you're building the one you've got - all the correct parts to build to the level you want are available from Ford Parts.

Edit:
    Look in the article under "Chapter 6 - Transmission Do's, Don't's & FAQ's cont."
    How much power can a 4R70W withstand... "Blown 4.6L 4V's making up to 575 RWHP."
    Last edited by Krytin; 08-21-2004 at 05:10 PM.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Uhmm, sorry if the answer to this question is obvious, but what do you mean look in "chapter 6"??? Chapter 6 where???

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    Uhmm, sorry if the answer to this question is obvious, but what do you mean look in "chapter 6"??? Chapter 6 where???
    This was to be "Topic 3:" Billy, but I didn't get to it.

The "J-Mod," or "Jerry Mod" that has been floating around here, is a shortcut on how to mod the 4R70W trans in the MM. It was extracted from a larger more informative discussion available from TCCOA's website. However, like any shortcut anywhere, one cannot be sure if all the important 411 was included. The parent discussion is long, but worth the read. Everytime I look something up, I learn more. Bookmark this site, you won't be sorry.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...on/page1.shtml

Get in touch with Greg Evans, Factory Tech Transmission. We use his valve bodies and monster box transmissions in the Lightnings. He is a no BS but very nice guy. Should be able to answer your questions.

MAC, and Jak, thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    ...derived from the Mustang's SN95 platform by SVT, not Ford...
    Since when isn't "SVT" a part of "Ford"?

Quote Originally Posted by martyo
    Since when isn't "SVT" a part of "Ford"?
    When they get sued?

LOL...I never said Ford didn't own SVT, or SVT was not in the Ford family, and you know that. However, there are distinctive lines in the sand drawn in product licensing agreements. In fact, one man I met a while back instisted that the 2003 MM was not produced supercharged from the factory, only because SVT had licenseed use of the Cobra engine until 2005. Doesn't matter if this is true or not here, but it is one possible explanation, and the man isn't someone who cares either way.

Not every Ford dealer can sell SVT products. Likewise, not every Ford dealer can sell a Jaguar, or, a Land Rover. The SVT line is a unique division, building unique automobiles, and retailing them on their own, and only with their permission. This is seperate enough for me...IMHO.

Hmmmm, some interesting points MAC. I wasn't aware of those things. Thanks for your insight on this.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    Hmmmm, some interesting points MAC. I wasn't aware of those things. Thanks for your insight on this.
    Billy, as the resident expert on the new Ford GT, is it considered an SVT product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information