Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Tires with Good Highway Performance?

Sticky Tires with Good Highway Performance?

This is somewhat a contradiction in terms, that is the stickiest tire is not the best for high way performance handling irrespective to.

Is it possible to get stickier rear tires without compromising highway performance? Or is what I have the best compromise?

I still have my first set of Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico tires on my car. I have driven 16,000 miles. I would be willing to get softer rear tires even if their life is less than what I'm getting now. My rear tires have 3/32 in. and front have 6/32 in. tread.

There is an interesting article in "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine called, "Party Time, Italian Style", p.144 of the 2/04 issue about Pirelli P Zero Corsa's and others. The artlcle states, "The Corsas are no joke. They are true semi-slicks, offering maximum dry grip and high-speed capability without regard to noise or comfort". Does this mean they are going to be noisier and more prone to jolting than the Pirellis I now have?I 'm not sure if they come in my size and are better than what I have.
    A reference to the Pirelli P Zero Nero was made, "Usually the big tradeoff in ultrahigh performance tires is ultimate grip for ride quality. Not here. The Neros deliver both..." The author did mention that he has driven extensively in Saleens with these tires.

I have have read our website threads about Nitto tires. Some of you are now using them.

I want to use these tires on my car all of the time. I drag infrequently at the track, but occasionally meet up with another car at a set of lights...you know what I mean.

Now for some advice and suggestions from this magnificent web of knowledgeable enthusiasts.

To: SergntMac
    I did a complete tire profile for my four tires that I mentioned to you about a month ago. But I have temporarily misplaced it. I'm patiently waiting for it to pop up.

Re: Brake Fluid. David Frey of Kenny Brown he said that Wilwood 570 DOT3 (nor DOT4) is the correct type for our cars.

______________________________ ______________________
    2003 Blue 300B (Canadian) (reversed traction control, mini spare,
    trunked 6 disc CD changer,clock-in-the-radio, heated front
    seats, hood light)
    -Born 12/10/02
    -16,000 miles
    -18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
    -Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
    clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
    -Wheel locks (Ford)
    -Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
    -Zaino waxing
    Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion (450 hp) Born
    3/28/03
    -Dead pedal
    -Baer front brakes 14 in. two piston, vented rotors
    -MMX Driveshaft
    -377 RWTQ
    -4.10 gears
    -Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3 Precision, triple disc,
    P/N469018-3
    -Vortech supercharger (5 and 9 psig boost)
    -Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear
    255/50ZR18 102Y)
    -FordChip
    -One coil of each front stock spring removed to produce
    the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
    -Ground clearance: 5 in.
    ______________________________ ____________________
    1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel
    BlueWaterMan

I pressed the button a little too fast.

First Sentence Correction
    This is somewhat a contradiction in terms, that is, the stickiest tire is best for dragging, but not for for highway performance and handling. (Maybe this is not true.)
    BlueWaterMan

John, you updated me on the brake fluid by e-mail yesterday, thanks for reminding again.

I'ts my opinion that the P-Zeros that come on the Marauder S are the best all around tire for town, country and stop light driving. Inflate to your own comfort, PSI directly affects traction on all tires. I am considering the 295/40 on 9.5 rims for the back, but not until the spring ahead...IMHO.

Am I correct that the OEM tires are still the only ones made in our "unique" rear tire size of 245/55ZR18 ? I've searched and still can't find any others. In a few thousand miles I'll need a set and I'd like to stick to the stock sizes all around.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

I just replaced the back pair, had a blow out. Only ones anybody could find were the OEM.
    --
    rct

The opinions above are mine and mine alone.

Ross/rct...Don't be afraid to bump up one size, there is plenty of room front and rear for some hugh tires. The sizes on the Kenny Brown build are 255/45 front and 255/50 rear. Stock rims are fine. The KB cars are lowered, and the tires still clear. The front to back rake is retained, and you plant approximately 1 extra inch of rubber on the road in each corner. Many, many tires available in these sizes, check any of the popular web sites.

Y'all...I want to add an afterthought to my previous post.

IMHO, the Nitto Extreme 555 and the P-Zeros are the top two tires on the road, and they share a lot of valuable characteristics. Yet, they are separated by almost 100 bucks in cost. Why? And is the why important?

I believe the difference in cost is spent in fortified sidewall construction, and Pirelli has the strongest sidewalls on the market. This is important if you are/plan any high speed cornering, or carry passengers at expressway speeds. I just read a scary post here relating high speed driving with four adults in the car. Chilling...

Whether this is just an internet brag, or not, it's important to remember that this additional 800-900 pounds is loaded directly on the sidewall, and it's magnafied when hitting the twisties. If this the way you drive, a hundred bucks a tire seems like good insurance against a sidewall collapse under pressure.

A set of four Pirelli tires in my sizes will run me about 1200 bucks, the Nitto 555s about 900 bucks. Believe me, I'd love to save the coins and buy something else. But after driving on Pirellis this past season, I just can't do it.

RE730s or RE750s

I am having real good luck with Bridgestone Potenza RE730s - which are now replaced by RE750S, I think...

Great traction

Great in rain....

Most guys don't like them in snow though....

Now this is on the Impala...

I haven't need to replace the oems on the sport yet - well except for the square one....
    2007 BBB Dodge Magnum SRT8
    2003 BBB Crown Vic Sport LX
    1996 BBB Impala SS
    1972 Chrysler Newport

NOW a MOBIL 1 sticker!!! but running Amsoil.

My sort of a web page:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/uwsacf

So Sarge, if I went with 255/45ZR18 97W M+S on the front and 255/5055ZR18 103W M+S on the back (those are all the numbers on my sidewalls), they would fit fine on stock rims, the car would still sit the same, and the automatic leveler or ABS wouldn't do anything funny? That would give me more options.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Silencer Removed
    license plate bracket

Originally posted by Ross
    So Sarge, if I went with 255/45ZR18 97W M+S on the front and 255/5055ZR18 103W M+S on the back (those are all the numbers on my sidewalls), they would fit fine on stock rims, the car would still sit the same, and the automatic leveler or ABS wouldn't do anything funny? That would give me more options.
    Yup. And the Nittos are really a whole for of tire for the money too.

darebren Guest
    the pirellis are the only option in that size on the stock rims.

Wider is better.
    or
    Fatter is more gooder.

Hmmm, I checked out www.tires.com and they had lots of tires in 255/45, but no listing of a tire in 255/50. Went to tirerack.com, and the only one they had was Pirelli, no Nittos.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Silencer Removed
    license plate bracket

I'm in the process of looking for wider tires but nothing else is available for the rear except for the Pirelli at around $265.00 a piece in the 255/50/18 size.

Sarge I thought the Kenny Brown had:
    Front- 245/45/18
    Rear- 255/50/18

Am I wrong?
    2004 Marauder
    Black
    Dark Charcoal Interior

2006 Mustang GT
    Satin Silver
    Black Leather Int.
    5-Speed Auto Trans.

2003 Grand Marquis LSE
    Silver

mdmarauder
    You are incorrect. See my car bio above which is the same as SergntMac's car "Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear 255/50ZR18 102Y)"

SergntMac
    "A set of four Pirelli tires in my sizes will run me about 1200 bucks, the Nitto 555s about 900 bucks. Believe me, I'd love to save the coins and buy something else. But after driving on Pirellis this past season, I just can't do it."

You say that you can't do it because you think that the Pirellis are superior? Is this correct?

Another Idea
    What do you think of "MI2QWK4U" action. This MM owner has "Widened Factory Rear Rims 9.5 X 18.- 305/45/18 Nitto Extream Drag Radials on the Rear"

Is this the way to increase my car's traction without compromising my highway performance handling?
    BlueWaterMan

uwsacf
    "RE730s or RE750s
    I am having real good luck with Bridgestone Potenza RE730s - which are now replaced by RE750S, I think... Great traction"

Comment
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Do you have any independent data indicating whether the tires that you suggest have better traction and performance than the Pirellis that I now use?

Also, I use an odd size tire that is difficult to find.
    My ciurrent tires are: Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear 255/50ZR18
    BlueWaterMan

Thank you for the suggestion.
    Do you have any independent data indicating whether the tires that you suggest have better traction and performance than the Pirellis that I now use?

Also, I use an odd size tire that is difficult to find.
    My ciurrent tires are: Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear 255/50ZR18
    Nope......... I got mine at www.tirerack.com....

Only data I have is seat of the pants...

I can burn just about any tire on the Impala - except the RE730s - just giddyap and go... and I run 40 psi....

If they're good enough for Michael Schumacher - they're good enough for me....

The Impala has a one of a kind tire size - which only BFG (oem) and now in the RE730s...

So they may have your size!
    2007 BBB Dodge Magnum SRT8
    2003 BBB Crown Vic Sport LX
    1996 BBB Impala SS
    1972 Chrysler Newport

NOW a MOBIL 1 sticker!!! but running Amsoil.

My sort of a web page:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/uwsacf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information