Thread: Really stainless works!

Really stainless works!

Ok here goes first this is all fact from what I was told and from their site as of today. I had an issue with my car whenever I would start to get into boost on my 04 trilogy equipped marauder it would fall flat on its face like fuel was cutting out went to a shop near by and tried to fix it before I went to St.thomas ont for the tour etc. The individual was not expecting me until after the tour but still accommodated me and we tried some things but to no success ran out of time. (Dang it I wanted to run up at sparta as well but could not thanks SW). Well here it is today and after finding out during my trip that the cats where gutted blown out etc etc nothing there and placed a call to SW which I wont even go into detail on that but did eventually get them to send me 2 new cats. Mind you they also said that the cats where blown out because of the trilogy set up(really 9 PSI on a 3 inch system I would have thought it should be able to handle that! I fart harder then that!) They also said that I repeat I would need to further modify the new cats before install! (I would compare that to getting a new car with only half the engine assembled and you have to do the rest really SW!) My system is barley a year old wow great stuff there!. Now when I asked several people who worked there last year if the trilogy kit would cause an issue I was told no way that it could! Now onto a copy and paste directly from their site!!!
    Mercury Marauder 2003-2004 Headers: Catted Leads

$1,609.02
    Qty: OR

Quick Overview

2003-2004 Mercury Marauder headers, high flow metal matrix converters and 2 1/2" lead pipes. 1 5/8" primary tubes with 3" OD collectors. Long tube design makes great power and mid range torque. 3/8" SS CNC laser cut flanges are port matched to the cylinder head for optimal flow and maximum performance. Designed for use with factory exhaust system.

look at this as well!!

Mercury Marauder 2003-2004 Exhaust: Catted System

$1,541.33
    Qty: OR

Quick Overview

2003-2004 Mercury Marauder Catted Exhaust System. Includes metal matrix high flow catalytic converters, 3" lead pipes, 3" X-pipe, chambered turbo mufflers with 2 1/2" tailpipes. Factory style tips. Includes all clamps and hangers. Designed to work with Stainless works Headers P/N "MAUHDR".

You show me here above where it says that it will possibly not work with a S/C etc nope don't see any warning at all do you kinda miss leading. don't believe me go to there site quick before they read this post and change their site!!! Had I know that my trilogy would have been an issue I may not have gone to them. I feel slightly mislead!!

As the cats blew out they also destroyed the O2 sensors cost me almost 200 from ford for 2 new ones guess I probably wont get any money back from them on this, fine as I will not be suggesting or ever using them again. Very rude on the phone also with me. Now onto some pictures for you all to see the carnage from A SW system!! first one is the O2 sensors, #2 is left mid pipe, three is right mid pipe. look at that could that be an issue??? hmmm. More pics next post!!
    Last edited by blackhueys; 06-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.

more pics!!

first pic is both old cats!!! somethings not there!! next pic is what I found when I separated the mid pipe on one side oh look another issue! hmmm. third is inside the other midpipe! fourth is oh my god really talk about a gutted cat parts holy hanna!! and last is the actual tip from the O2 sensor on one side only god knows where the rest of the other side one went to!
    Just posting this so you can see my fun never had the car over 85 on the road and only about 100 on the track since install and only 3 1/4 mile runs and it did this to me in less then a year! wow just wow THANKS SW FOR MY FUN TRIP!! This is my experience others can make there own!!
    Last edited by blackhueys; 11-29-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Wow that is interesting,I bought the headers only! I have had no issues sorry to hear about yours.But I understand your frustration...
    # 2352 Lidio Built my Hot Rod... 2011 S55-001

My rear 02's are turned off, so that wouldn't have been an issue. I have the same cats on my Trilogy TS, 14lbs of boost and no issues like that. If you hate the system, let me be the first in line to say.....is it for sale?
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

What is your A/F at wot? If its too rich it can destroy the cats....in which case SW lost their butt.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver59 View Post
    What is your A/F at wot? If its too rich it can destroy the cats....
    that's right, race fuel can also destroy them.
    Eliminate the cats, keep the AFR between 11.3 to 11.8 and move on
    Last edited by LANDY; 06-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Well the tune I have now I found out to be rather interesting to say the least with what was done not saying who did it but all I can say is I am not impressed with it after seeing what was turned off etc. I am going to try and get a tune tomorrow and see how that goes will let you know more if I can get it done. Oh I never ran any leaded race gas, only high octane I have ever run is 93 octane lead will kill cats and O2 sensors not cause them to blow out all together no smell nothing just blew out. I figure that quality was not a priority for the makers of my old cats.
    Last edited by blackhueys; 06-20-2011 at 06:08 PM.

This is interesting! I run magnaflow high flow cats on my Whipple MM with 20lbs Boost But have only about 1200 miles on them curious to see how they hold up, But dont forsee a future problem. I have run highflow cats on many high HP cars in the past with no problems. Like others said rich A/F could for sure be a cause though.

04 SB-- Alluminator/2.3 Whipple 20lbs boost, 545RWHP/556RWTQ sold!!

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue-My New Baby!

03 300A- Vortech S-trim A2A 500 RWHP -Sold

03 Marauder KB-S #7- R.I.P.Bought new 06-02
    sent to KB 1-03 #7 but it was the 3rd one they did

That isn't a ceramic honeycomb, obviously, or it wouldn't have unraveled like that. Guess they make those in China now too!
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Ok now I see what you were talking about on the phone today. It wasn't what I was picturing in my mind when you were describing it. Those Cats are a total fail. Too bad the your timing of the visit worked against my schedule so the tuning side could be taken care of now that you have a decent trans and TC. Keep in touch.

Sorry about your trip, you should have received the new cats already, please keep us informed about the updated tune.

We have customers that use converters in combination with superchargers on a regular basis. At this time we don't have any plan to modify our site due to this information you posted. I'm sorry that you think we may do this.

I personally understand your frustration with the whole scenario. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns.

SW is on this forum to support our customers and our dealers.

Sincerely,
    Paul Grabowski
    Stainless Works
    (800) 878-3635 ext. 232
    paul@stainlessworks.net

Thread Information