Thread: Moisture / haze on inside glass of auto meter gauges?

Moisture / haze on inside glass of auto meter gauges?

Just noticed that the inside top of my trans temp gauge has some kind of very slight fogging / moisture, almost looks like oily haze actually? Very light tiny droplets; the gauge is still readable, but not as much as the real OP and Volts gauges. It's like looking at a couple of the numbers through very lightly frosted glass.

I know it was clear before; all I can think of is the colored plastic sleeve over the bulb directly behind it? Maybe when it first heated up it off gassed something, and I just now am noticing; you really have to look for it.

There's no way to get the lens off that I can see; thinking about pulling the bulb and spraying canned air which should get around to the front, but that's assuming it can evaporate. I pulled the gauge and rotated the bezel so the tiny droplets are more at the bottom.

I know I paid less than $30 for this thing; cheapest I found today was $67, so they have gone up quite a bit.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has run into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Mine has liquid in it too.....

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Gee, no kidding! Sounds like you got some defective ones. You should drill a hole through the center of them to drain them out, then put them in the oven for a couple of days, low temp of course as you don’t want to damage them. Can’t be too careful!

I turned my lens a quarter turn to get the hazy area towards the bottom, then shot some canned air through the back bulb hole a couple of times. That dispersed most of it.

The problem I think is that the oil and voltage gauges only light up when the lights turn on, but the trans temp gauge light is on all the time the key is on. I figure the bulb off gassed the rubber on the different color sleeve I have over the bulb, and hazed one area of the lens after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Thread Information