Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signs of a bad radio

If for some reason someone wants to actually fix the stocker, mine is boxed and ready to ship. You pay shipping plus $10 to cover my hassle, and it's yours. Same issue; the FM died. It's been sitting in my closed garage cabinet for over a year waiting for me to finish construction my Gallagher mallet.

It works so far. Got the radio back yesterday and put it in. I used United Radio
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

I can't remember exactly what the guy on the phone said that they did to it but he said it was a common problem with these radios and they knew just what to do. Anyway, quick turnaround. The invoice says they replaced the Tuner IC.

Signs of a bad radio

I’d get mine fixed if the 6 CD changer in the trunk hadn’t also died. Figured I would try to find a working Escape head unit with integral changer instead.

I didn’t know about this repair option, but might do it and just lose the changer if I can’t find a replacement.

Thanks for the reference!
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Changer.

My changer has never been used since new. What's it worth to you? I'd want your dead one to put in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    My changer has never been used since new. What's it worth to you? I'd want your dead one to put in the hole.

Thanks, I’d have to figure out how to get the thing out first.

The value is a portion of what a working Escape radio / head unit w/ changer is going for now, because I’d still have to have the radio repaired as well.
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Signs of a bad radio

Quote Originally Posted by Jtrip View Post

LOL! Yep, sounds right.

Well, replacing it and fixing the radio (which I didn’t know was an option till this thread) would be the easiest. I took a look in the trunk and it looks like there’s a housing that comes off the 6-cd changer to get fairly easy access to it.

I’ll have talk to Byron and see if he’s a Dr. Evil clone of not.

I noticed last night that a number of random buttons on the radio do not light up at night. Are they bulbs and if so, are they easy to replace?

Arrow OEM MM Audiophile Sound System

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I noticed last night that a number of random buttons on the radio do not light up at night. Are they bulbs and if so, are they easy to replace?
    Going to keep United Radio in mind. My OEM system works and sounds fine at the moment. I want to keep it OEM due to its uniqueness and cassette player. I don't think my trunk changer had ever been used before I took possession of Marauder last year - took a couple of tries to get it to work correctly.

The MM radio actually stopped working earlier this year while I was down in FL. I turned it off, parked back at the hotel, restarted Marauder the next day and the radio worked. Same thing with Mustang's Shaker 500 system last year. Fingers crossed!
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    Actually, I don't know if this is normal behavior or not, but some of the lights don't light up when I play CDs at night. Otherwise, they all light up. Is that the normal behavior that perhaps not needed buttons don't light up when the CD is playing during night driving?

I have an OE I would sell cheap. It was working fine when it was taken out. PM me if anyone is interested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information