Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking accelerator pedal

Sticking accelerator pedal

I was on my way to work on Tuesday morning, when my Marauder decided to do a Toyota Prius impersonation. I was approaching a yellow light, punched it, (yea...I know...don't do that), and the pedal never came back up.

A quick hit to the brakes, a simultaneous shift to neutral, and a flick of the key and I came to a safe stop. I stepped on the accelerator a couple of times and it popped loose.

Needless to say, I'm a little nervous about hitting the skinny pedal too hard right now. Anyone had this happen before on their Marauder? If so, did you ever find out what happend?
    03 Mercury Marauder
    93 Mercury Sable
    94 T-Bird (Traded in on Marauder.... I'll miss ya!)
    88 F-150 XLT Lariat 4X4
    57 Plymouth

Like your Japanese car or truck? Please park it in TOKYO!

I Support our troops in Afghanistan

make it stick again and look where its sticking, clean out your tb too, do you have any other floor mats besides the factory ones in there?

Check the condition of the carpet in that area before you blame the gas pedal

This happened in both my moms 88 Mercedes and 05 Lincoln Navigator. I just pulled the petal up with the toe of my shoe and it was fine after that. It simply was the floor mat being too far forward.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Check your floor mat.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Check the condition of the carpet in that area before you blame the gas pedal
    this happened to me, cheap floor mats with no eye hole for the hook
    *2003 Mercury Marauder (built on 8/28/02 #4,369 of 7,838 / #4,368 of 7,093 in black)
    -K&N CIA, Mach 1 chin spoiler, EBC Slotted Rotors(Red stuff pads), Pro-Guard rear skid plate, SS inserts, Nitto 420S tires, Tint, SRP Racing pedals, Aero Turbine 2525, Res. Delete tips, SCT Tuned by Bama Custom Tuning
    *2004 Ford Mustang GT SONIC BLUE, 3.73 gears, bama tune, JLT CAI, Steeda tri-axe, Bassani X pipe, Accel coils, MSD 2 step launch control

The cable could be binding inside the plastic sheath that goes to the TB, also check the TB linkage too.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

^^^what VistaBlue said^^^

That happened to a few members very early on. I don't remember what the exact cause was...I think one just loosened the brackets on the TB and repositioned the cable slightly.

Also, give the TB a good cleaning. Phoebe used to have a slight "stick" when first depressing the pedal. There was a buildup of gunk behind the butterflies that I cleaned using TB cleaner (be sure it says "safe for coated throttle bodies") and a couple of Q-tips. Nice and smooth now.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Did it again today! I need to get on this....fast. Good call on the mats... I'll have a look. I have the factory mat hooked in, but I have a rubber mat over the factory mat to save the original mat. I might need to re-think this if it's the mat getting stuck in the pedal
    03 Mercury Marauder
    93 Mercury Sable
    88 F-150 XLT Lariat 4X4
    57 Plymouth

I had it happen, the gasket on my JLT came apart and a piece wedged the right hand side blade open on the throttle body, and I had nailed it at a light. Pretty hairy ride for a couple minutes.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

I just had this happen. The mat is not it. The throttle body is clean and appears to be free. I moved it back at the TB by hand and all has been fine, but it still scares me. was looking hard at the TB spring but it looks fine, and I compared it to others.
    If someone comes up with something please let me know, I take the family in this car lots.
    4;10's,JLT RAI,and Lidio's sct live wire,new air freshner,.......and now #153 Trilogy..377 hp and 400 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by chader View Post
    I just had this happen. The mat is not it. The throttle body is clean and appears to be free. I moved it back at the TB by hand and all has been fine, but it still scares me. was looking hard at the TB spring but it looks fine, and I compared it to others.
    If someone comes up with something please let me know, I take the family in this car lots.
    Seeing as you have the trilogy kit, its probly a lost cause, The only thing you can do is trade me your car for mine (the throttle has NEVER stuck), and ill even do it even steven.

eh worth a try right??
    03 300A Bone stock

ya I can't blame you! It is even more fun when the throttle sticks in the middle of a burn out!
    4;10's,JLT RAI,and Lidio's sct live wire,new air freshner,.......and now #153 Trilogy..377 hp and 400 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by chader View Post
    I'd call Jerry at Trilogy to see if they can help out. From what I heard the advice is free.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Boy do I feel like an idiot....

It absolutely was the floor mat. I pulled the mat back, and tried a WOT acceleration in a safe spot and no more throttle sticking. A good lesson learned..... if you're going to use a rubber mat over the factory mat, check it every time you get into the car. I might have to re-think the whole rubber floor mat thing.

Thanks everyone for posting (and hopefully not laughing too hard)
    03 Mercury Marauder
    93 Mercury Sable
    88 F-150 XLT Lariat 4X4
    57 Plymouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information