Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with instrument cluster

Help with instrument cluster

I just had a Marauder instrument cluster installed in my 04 Crown Vic Sport. I didn't have a place to do it myself so I paid (out the nose) to have it done. Anyway, the people that did it messed it up royally. But I digress, I am trying to access how badly they messed it up. I know the fuel gauge doesn't work but I also believe that some of the "fault" indicator lights don't work.

What I need is for a genuine Marauder owner to turn on the ignition switch and tell me which "fault" indicator lights turn on, before starting the engine. It seems there are 13 indicator lights across the cluster. I thought that when you first turn the key on they all light up to show that they are working.

I've read the Marauder manual and it didn't help much.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by CrownVic75; 07-19-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: update signature
    2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Quote Originally Posted by CrownVic75 View Post
    I just had a Marauder instrument cluster installed in my 04 Crown Vic Sport. I didn't have a place to do it myself so I paid (out the nose) to have it done. Anyway, the people that did it messed it up royally. But I digress, I am trying to access how badly they messed it up. I know the fuel gauge doesn't work but I also believe that some of the "fault" indicator lights don't work.

What I need is for a genuine Marauder owner to turn on the ignition switch and tell me which "fault" indicator lights turn on, before starting the engine. It seems there are 13 indicator lights across the cluster. I thought that when you first turn the key on they all light up to show that they are working.

I've read the Marauder manual and it didn't help much.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    I think they all come on to verify the bulb isn't blown. Will check when I get home.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Check engine, seatbelt, battery all stay on...... air susp, check fuel cap, abs, brake and airbag all come on and turn off after a couple seconds varying... (They do not turn off at the same time)
    Last edited by camelgrundle; 07-19-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

I think the same...Thanks
    2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Ok, guys... mystery solved.

I also just discovered that the indicator light on the far right end of the cluster named "Engine Coolant Temperature", according to the Ford Wiring Diagrams manual, is really the "cylinder head over temperature indicator, lamp".

THANKS!
    Last edited by CrownVic75; 07-20-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: update info
    2004 CV LX Sport

Ok, guys... mystery solved.

I also just discovered that the indicator light on the far right end of the cluster named "Engine Coolant Temperature", according to the Ford Wiring Diagrams manual, is really the "cylinder head over temperature indicator, lamp".

THANKS!

You need an extra pin or so when converting to the marauder cluster for power IIRC and the auto meter tach adapter. The install wasn't so hard, just a PITA switching all the pins around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Help with instrument cluster

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    You need an extra pin or so when converting to the marauder cluster for power IIRC and the auto meter tach adapter. The install wasn't so hard, just a PITA switching all the pins around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hahahaha!

Let me tell you a little story. My daughter and her family moved in with me a couple of years ago, so my garage is now full of boxes, toys and other junk. I can’t get my car into my garage. So I took my car to a “custom” repair/garage. They assured me they had done this before and knew what they were doing.

The cluster swap should have taken 4 to 6 hours. The mechanic said it took him 11 hours to do the job. He said he cut the wires off the existing (white – black) connectors, then spliced the existing wires to the new connector’s pigtails. I had purchased both new connectors so I had the two extra pins I would need or to arrange the wiring into the new connectors. So he really mucked things up. I told him to replace the oil pressure sender and use the existing wire from the cluster and extend it down to the center console pod. He said he had to run a new oil pressure wire. He said it also took him 3 hours to get the Autometer tach sending unit to work. The sending unit along with the instructions were still in the Autometer box, I had supplied.

Well, so far everything seems to work except the Fuel Gauge. (I had already replaced all the lights with 194LL bulbs and tested.) So now, whether I like it or not, I have to pull the cluster out myself and get the fuel gauge working.

I’m 74, I live in South Carolina and it’s so hot and humid here I can’t work on the car outside. We are currently having thunderstorms almost every evening. I’ve come to the conclusion that I will do the repairs during the night. I can’t imagine what a rat’s nest of wiring I’m going to find behind the cluster. They charged me almost $1000 for this hack job. And they made me pay cash...now I know why.

P.S. I'm considering suing.

2004 CV LX Sport

Holy macaroni...

Sounds almost as bad as the recall "fix" for the LCM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

A $1,000 to swap to a Marauder cluster? Plus the actual part? I will never understand some CV and GM owners! WOW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Hey! I own a GM...just ordered some cop shocks for it, too.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

justbob,

Ya, I didn't think it was going to be that expensive. Of course, if they had done exactly as I asked it would have been half that cost. The mechanic was an idiot, but if I wanted my car back I had to pay it. What really irritates me is that now I have to yank the dash and finish the work they started. Which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.
    Last edited by CrownVic75; 07-23-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added lines.
    2004 CV LX Sport

I fixed the LCM problems by adding relays to control the headlights and fog lights circuits. With the added relays I don't have all the amperes for the headlights going through the LCM over an 18 gauge wire. The 18 gauge wire now picks a relay and 12v is supplied to the headlights using 12 gauge wire directly from the power junction box/battery. Lights are brighter and if the relay burns up it's easily replaced.

One more thing, we Crown Vic owners aren't trying to remake them into Marauders. It's just that the Marauder had some options that didn't come on the Crown Vic (like the Tach, and actual working oil and volt meters). To improve the car's appearance as well as handling, performance, etc., we use the good parts off of other vehicles. My Johnny Cash car has parts from Marauder, CV PI, Lincoln Aviator, and Mustang, plus custom tunes. Most car enthusiast will customize their car with things that they like and were not factory installed. The Crown Vics came with on/off switches as sensors for gauges like the oil pressure. The manufacturer made the so called gauges act the same as idiot lights. Once you find out that when the oil pressure drops below 6 lbs/in2 and the "gauge" drops to zero, your engine is already shot. You can appreciate having an actual oil pressure gauge. At least these are the motives behind my actions.
    Last edited by CrownVic75; 07-23-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added another thought.
    2004 CV LX Sport

Ya, I didn't think it was going to be that expensive. Of course, if they had done exactly as I asked it would have been half that cost. The mechanic was an idiot, but if I wanted my car back I had to pay it.

Hoping you let others know who to avoid. I'm still hunting for knowledgeable/willing Marauder techs in my area.

Locally, Schrader Performance in Gastonia, NC now farms out most work to Hart's Automotive, also in Gastonia - inquiries went unanswered.

Extreme Mustangs in Monroe, NC was recommended - inquiries went unanswered.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Hoping you let others know who to avoid. I'm still hunting for knowledgeable/willing Marauder techs in my area.

Locally, Schrader Performance in Gastonia, NC now farms out most work to Hart's Automotive, also in Gastonia - inquiries went unanswered.

Extreme Mustangs in Monroe, NC was recommended - inquiries went unanswered.

"Above and Beyond" I wrote reviews on various local websites.

The best car modders I found in Charlotte was "CMD Automotive". But be careful, if you have them do some work for you, these guys are radical and extreme. They did my drive train and a few other mods and then created my 93 octane "custom tune". They forgot to tell me they and created and loaded the tune. When I figured it out and filled up with 93 octane fuel to try the tune, let's just say I had to buy new underwear. But they are the best I found in the Charlotte area.

Last edited by CrownVic75; 07-23-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: After thoughts.
    2004 CV LX Sport

Thanks for the tip - I'll contact CMD ASAP. The Yelp! reviews for the Summerville facility are hilarious! I don't bother posting anything to Yelp! anymore as I've been shadow banned for some unknown reason. My negative reviews were always truthful and objective. Kept getting messages that my 'negative reviews' (few and far between) 'weren't serving the best interests of the community'? Then, I see some of the other stuff posted to Yelp?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/above-and-b...VLhXDbp_h65elg

"Above and Beyond" I wrote reviews on various local websites.

The best car modders I found in Charlotte was "CMD Automotive". But be careful, if you have them do some work for you, these guys are radical and extreme. They did my drive train and a few other mods and then created my 93 octane "custom tune". They forgot to tell me they and created and loaded the tune. When I figured it out and filled up with 93 octane fuel to try the tune, let's just say I had to buy new underwear. But they are the best I found in the Charlotte area.

Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information