View Poll Results: I'd like to go try some Road Course driving!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - not me. I don't like fast driving.

2 7.69%
  • Yes, I'd go, but not at Nelson Ledges.

9 34.62%
  • Yes, I'd go, but not on those dates.

2 7.69%
  • Yes, I'd go April 18, 2008 (Friday).

2 7.69%
  • Yes, I'd go June 20, 2008 (Friday).

6 23.08%
  • Yes, I'd go June 27, 2008 (Friday).

4 15.38%
  • Yes, I'd go October 10, 2008 (Friday).

5 19.23%
  • Yes, I'd go October 24, 2008 (Friday).

4 15.38%
  • Yes, I'd go October 31, 2008 (Friday).

3 11.54%
  • No! The only true racin' is drag racin'! Which is like oval racin', except for the left turns.

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Semi-Organized Road Course Meet

Semi-Organized Road Course Meet

Most of us know that each of the last 5 Maraudervilles featured a drag-strip event, where members interested in straight line racing could have at it and see what they could do. For those interested in (rabid about?) drag racing, that was an important part of the decision to attend or not attend.

However, there are a few of us (like me, because I don't know a crap about staging and timing lights and the only races I've ever run started behind a pace car) that are really interested in road course racing with our Marauders. In my case, most of the upgrades I've done are about handing and cornering, in addition to horsepower. The last time I tried them out was in 2003, and I've done a lot since then that has yet to be tested. Those of us on the MVV Planning & Barbecue Committee tried to accommodate this, but we couldn't get enough interest in attendees at the Maryland State Highway Patrol training course to justify the cost.

I've often thought that, if we could gather around a road course, we might have a lot of fun. Then I found this on the Nelson Ledges (Garrettsville, OH) web site:

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Ledges Web Site
    FunDays were created for ... low performance cars ... . People that have always wanted to experience the thrill of "On Track" driving but in a safe, controlled atmosphere are welcome to attend. ... FunDays are perfect for clubs ... that want to have a track day without the hassle of setting up rental, insurance and all the other things that go with it. ... .On FunDays, gates open at 8 A.M. Track time is 10 A.M. to 4 P.M., with a half-hour break taken for workers.
    Fees seem pretty reasonable: $120 per driver; $5.00 per crew or spectator.

In the Poll (above), indicate whether you'd be interested. If we have enough, maybe a bunch of Marauder enthusiasts could meet and have a little fun, without all the hassle of renting the whole track for one club. The dates above are the ones indicated on the web site as available "FunDays."

Let's see what develops.

Oh yeah - you can pick multiple dates.
    Last edited by N40GL; 02-11-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: To clarify that you can pick multiple dates.

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

This sounds like fun ... not sure how it might compare with Summit Racing near Winchester, VA. I think that their "open sessions" are about $200 and up from what I remember.

I picked 10 and 24 October to deconflict some of the other activities. Need to open up a space for some time off work to travel and participate. Garrettsville, OH is 350 miles and about 6 hours for me. So, I am suspecting a minimum 3 day trip -- at least.

Am already booked for the Kentucky trip and am planning to attend Marauderville VI wherever it is. Might be hard for me to swing 3 trips this year. But, I am interested ... but probably not until the September-October timeframe. That's my best guess at this time.

Oops, I forgot Carlisle in June, too.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 02-11-2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I'm interested. Didn't pick a date yet. Had a blast at Waterford Hills (I believe) Road Course, North of Detroit, years ago during an SVT Experience weekend. There's nothing like p**sing off a $70k Cobra R Owner, by having him leave you in the dust going into the straightaway, then looking in the rear view mirror and seeing your $20k SVT Contour on his bumper on the next corner.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 02-11-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    MARAUDERS get me ****!

I'd love to try but Road America in WI is the only one evern remotely close. It's a 4 miles road course with some REALLY long straights to get up to speed.
    Black 2004 Marauder
    Has everything but a moonroof
    35% tint all the way around
    Born on 04/15/2004
    Adopted 04/30/2004
    Number 2491 of 3213 Made in 2004

I live just south of Nelsons and have been there with the Mustang before. This is a great place and was just repaved a couple of years ago. Fun days are usually first come first served so be there very early in the morning. Pick a time and date, I'll be there. I would love to see what the Marauder would do on that course.

Hey, Lou, are you familier with the autobaun in Joliet by me ?

I can't hear the noise in your head. Please keep it that way.

Road Course

I have had my Marauder to Pocono International to spank a bunch of lambo's, Masserati's, and Ferrari's. There are at least 2 posts on this site about this adventure. At Pocono, the Pantera Club I am a member in, uses the tri-oval for one event, and turn 1 ~ turn 2 and the infield course for our second yearly event. This type of driving is fun if controlled. No paint swapping. Experienced track judges. Driving instruction.

The problem with our forum is where do you hold such an event, just like Marauderville. Second is safety. Not only for pre-track inspections but also driving skills. The Pantera Club always hooks up with the driving school near Pocono to provide well grounded driving instruction for novices before they are released to run the track.

I am interested.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by knine View Post
    Hey, Lou, are you familier with the autobaun in Joliet by me ?

Yup but my impression is that it's a private course and expensive.
    Black 2004 Marauder
    Has everything but a moonroof
    35% tint all the way around
    Born on 04/15/2004
    Adopted 04/30/2004
    Number 2491 of 3213 Made in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by pacammer View Post
    ...where do you hold such an event, just like Marauderville. Second is safety. Not only for pre-track inspections but also driving skills. The Pantera Club always hooks up with the driving school near Pocono to provide well grounded driving instruction for novices before they are released to run the track.

I am interested.

Gary
    Ditto.

Location: I think would have really had to stretch her legs to make it to most previous MV sites. What's the westernmost large-scale event that has been held? Was it west of the Mississippi?

Safety: Absolutely, indisputibly critical. Making sure no one gets hurt is first and foremost. After that, there's some MMs that have mid-to-high five figures of time and energy invested in them, which we wouldn't want to see wasted over sloppy wheel/pedal-work or macho posturing. Clear expectations from participants, and a safety course/review are probably needed for those of us who might be interested but haven't competed on regulation asphalt.
    03 300A Black 1719/7839
    Current mods: FRP 4.10s, DR 93 Octane & shift tune, 8-clutch stock diff rebuild, bald tires
    Wish list: Eaton M112 kit and/or get bored and stroke it to a 5.0L

Don't let friends drive stockers:

Interested. Subscribing to the thread.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

Thread Information