Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help keeping engine clean

Exclamation need help keeping engine clean

I was wondering what you ladies and gents reccomend as the proper prcedure to keep the engine and engine compartment clean. I'm not talking about old car grese removal I am wondering about a basic engine cleanliness program of sorts. O.K. gearheads go...tnx
    2003 MM 300 A
    1984 F150 "STEPSIDE"
    "cause I COULD"

ilpimp Guest
    i recommend driving with the hood on, and don't store things with the engine, that's bad.

ghost Guest
    From one of our SS guys who's won many awards:

Engine Cleaning/Detailing

by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex. Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.

His engine looks like this:

It works - I use the same procedure. It helps to start with a fairly clean engine to begin with, and you guys with your new MMs certainly qualify.

HTH,

Eric

Vince Gortner Guest
    ^^^^ That is a sweet looking Lingenfelter motor. Neat headers...

I buy WD40 in the gallon can and apply it liberally on a warm motor. Does a nice job of disolving dirt & grease and washing away crud. Most of the carrier fliud drips away quickly and the remaining lubricant is nice and shiny. I wipe up any excess and polish things up a bit. Anything that lands on the exhaust manifolds smokes a little as it cooks off, but it's pretty minor.

I have used cleaners that require a water rinse, but I try not to use water in the engine bay if I don't have to.
    Last edited by Vince Gortner; 04-26-2003 at 12:52 PM.

ghost - That engine compartment looks great. Nice job. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

im not doin it if it turns it into a chevy motor!
    Black '03 Marauder
    20% window tint all around

I have never heard of these ideas. Interesting. I am a little hesitant to spray flamables on the motor....but if it works.
    2017 Niro

I like to use "Big Orange" which I get at Smart & Final.........it cleans without damaging paint and it doesn't smell............but requires water spray to remove it.....

If you must use water....blast all electrical connectors with air before starting!
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

I have to admit, that is a clean looking engine bay. Only problem I would have is using petrolium based Armor All around the belts and hoses, though. Windex is mostly just Ammonia and water...that I don't think would be a problem.

ghost Guest
    Let me clarify some things.

That's NOT my engine, that's Gary Grant's engine. The procedures I gave were his, but I use them. I'll see if I can get a pic up of my engine compartment, it's a bit more realistic, if you know what I mean.

Armor All is not petroleum-based, it's silicon-based. And you are correct to try to keep them away from your belts, even though I have gotten the stuff on mine with no adverse effects. It wears off quickly.

I think the MM engine compartment will really turn out nice using this procedure. And subsequent cleanings usually just require a wipe-down as opposed to a full cleaning. The Armor All will pick up dust (or lately, POLLEN), but after a good wipe it looks good again.

Now start posting some clean engine compartments! Let's see that good work!

Eric

schuvwj Guest
    Guys I just spray the engine down with some 50% Simple Green 50% water, let the engine soak for about 5 mins. and hose it off. Blow dry with air hose! DONE!

Vince Gortner Guest
    Fire? I'm sure WD40 has some petroleum base to it, but I've never been able to get it to light on fire. Maybe if you spray it from the can into an open flame, but a little residue on engine components won't burn and, like armor-all, anything you get on the belts wears off really fast.

I don't like putting anything on my plastic and rubber (including the interior). I just keep it clean and it looks great without any buildup of greasy stuff (I DON"T want it to be shiny, just clean). About every other time I wash the car I open the hood and use an old car wash rag to wipe it down with the same gentle soap I use on the rest of the car. Then spray it down lightly and then use another old rag to dry it so there are no water spots.
    '03 MM (original owner)
    '88 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (For Sale)
    '84 Porsche 911 M491
    '90 325i track day special
    '11 Airstream Interstate
    '99 F350 PSD
    '70 K20
    '10 Range Rover (wife's driver)

MMpridenjoy Guest
    I was just wondering about the rinse on the engine with water...should anything be covered? Or..is it cool to just get in there and blast away any cleaner used? I remember on the old carb equip they used to say to cover things a little (carb, HEI, etc). Any response appreciated.

MMP&J,

As long as you don't use high pressure (like at a self-wash) you're ok with just normal garden hose pressure. IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information